To Jack--With Love on Your 2nd Birthday

My sweet boy.
My how you've grown!

I was looking back through this blog over the last two years, and the sight of your tiny newborn face made me catch my breath. I re-read the story of your birth and my letter to you last year, and I couldn't keep my eyes from growing misty.

You have brought such joy into our lives.  Last night, as I read book after book to you before I tucked you in, I hugged you a little tighter. When you handed me On the Night You Were Born after months of not reading it, I almost teared up.

You are our little buddy, and you follow us around as if you were our shadow. Except when you're asleep. You sleep happily in your bed, all cozy with your blanket and puppy and request it by signing "sleep" when it's nap time or bedtime.
You love seeing pictures of people you know (including yourself!), and you are happy to grin back at others when you see them in person.  You love the people who love you.
You adore your sister and want to bring her wherever we go (which is good since she's pretty unhappy when we are out of her sight!).  You give her hugs and call her "Ye-ya."  You laugh when she laughs and are worried when she's upset. You enjoy your baths together, especially when I let you carefully pour water on her :).
You share your toys willingly and generously and sign "thank you" after you've given her something. I think you will teach her many signs in the months to come.

You run and walk on tiptoe and climb on couches and chairs and your playground and pretend to sneak around as Daddy chases you. You act like a puppy dog and want me to play like I'm a kitty cat. You are a great builder with Legos and an even better driver of your toy cars, as you make them go up and down furniture, doors, and occasionally my legs. These days, exploring with beans is at the top of your list of things to do each day.
You are becoming a wonderful artist and do a fantastic job of coloring pictures; drawing lines, circles, and squiggles; and painting with paintbrushes and your fingers. You still enjoy play dough and like to pretend you've made snakes as you "ssssssss" your snake you've rolled along the table.
You love to be read to and will bring me book after book before nap time and bedtime. You enjoy looking at them by yourself during room time and sharing them with Ella, too.
You learned to ride your tricycle and have been day-time potty trained with very few accidents for weeks now.

You are kind, funny, and thoughtful; you put things where they belong, and you try to give me shoulder rubs like Daddy. I think you are going to be a wonderful husband one day ;).

My boy, this day, your 2nd birthday, I know you won't remember. But, I hope you'll always remember how loved you are and how special you are.

We continue to thank God for choosing us to be your parents, and we know God has big things in store for you.

Happy birthday, my goofy, lovable, charming son.  You are one of a kind!


"For never before in story or rhyme
(not even once upon a time)
has the world ever known a you, my friend,
and it never will, not ever again...
Heaven blew every trumpet
and played every horn
on the wonderful, marvelous 
night you were born."

Comments

  1. OK, I'm crying now!!!!! He will love reading this love letter one day. Jack is so precious to us, and we are excited to see how he navigates the world. <3 U

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing