Being Sure

I am not superstitious. Really, I'm not. I'm cautious, but I'm not superstitious. I do, however, tend to not get my hopes up often. My sister and I are alike in this. We don't let ourselves get intensely excited about things or events coming up because we don't want to be let down if things fall through. I never thought much about that outlook on life until one day when I was talking to the boyfriend, and he said that was a sad way to think. And he was right.

He was absolutely right. How can I, as a child of God, not have hope?

I have a set of devotional cards on my desk at work, and I'm terrible about changing the cards. It's not laziness or lack of motivation; it's simply forgetfulness on my part. It sits right in front of me day after day (among the papers, the multiple stamps, the pink ink pad, the maroon stapler, the black tape dispenser, the daily planner, the whistle, the almost-empty jar of Nutella, the wicker basket of assorted writing utensils, and the other teachery knickknacks), and I look right past it, forgetting to take the card in front, move it to the back, replace it with a new card, and read said small card that's printed with God's word.

All that to say, this morning I read the card in the silver holder. The same card that's been sitting there for months at least. The same card that I've seen but not really seen each day. And this is what it said.


"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

How appropriate. How timely. How like God. He does that sometimes. Just throws something at me when I, in my humanness, am pretty oblivious to His small, quiet voice.

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for..."

As children of God, we should hope! I shouldn't not get excited about something just because it might not happen! What kind of faith-life is that?? What kind of example does that set for others who are watching? What it comes down to is I'm not the one in control! Ooohh. There it is. That's the real issue.


Control.
I, as an adult, as a teacher, and as someone who's lived on her own for a while now, have control issues. I do things my way because I know that my way works for me. I don't know how my life will look when I have to relinquish control to someone else. I'm a little nervous about that. I guess it all comes down to trust. Trusting that someone. Trusting God.

Do I trust God enough to hope? To have faith in what can't be seen? I should. I think it needs to start with the little things. I need to have hope when it comes to exciting upcoming events. I need to have hope when it comes to my career and the twists and turns that are wrapped up in the job. I need to have hope when it comes to my future. Marriage. Kids. Retirement...hah! I need to trust God with the small and big things that come my way...or don't come my way.

The point is, I, as a forgiven, cleansed child of the mighty King, have the greatest reason to have faith and to hope.

His word is truth, and He keeps His promises.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

  1. Joy--I am trying to think of a good comment on your statement about relinquishing control to someone else. We "share" and not "relinquish" control to someone else! Does this make sense?
    Uncle James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does Uncle James :). I simply meant that letting someone else do the things you're used to doing is difficult. Thank you for always leaving me a comment! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sweetheart, have abundant hope for your future. God has great plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was most helping my dear. ;)

    I'm up for the cheap food/movie plan whenever you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post. The scriptures you referenced are both encouraging. Hebrews 11:1 cheers me on as I pursue my dream of becoming a published Christian author.

    Thank you for affirming what I already know; which is, Hope is alive in our Lord, and His plans for our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing