Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
1. We just got our phone/internet back.
It's been out since Saturday afternoon. Out of touch doesn't even begin to express how it felt to not have access to email, texting, calling, blogging, etc.
2. Jack got to meet a few of his cousins over the last couple of days!
Cousin Daniel did the airplane with him, Cousin Cheri played with him on the floor, and Cousins Sarah, Rachel, and Brianna all held and loved on him as the drool and slobber flowed. I'm so glad we got to visit and catch up with them! Christmas affords us that opportunity :)
Merry Christmas, y'all!
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
1. Teething is rotten. Rotten.
Jack is such a happy, content baby, and this teething business is making him miserable, which makes us miserable. :(. But he's still such a sweet little guy, even in the midst of such an uncomfortable season. He's doing such a great job of sleeping through the night still (for which I am incredibly grateful!), but his naps have been kind of wonky lately due to his gums hurting so much. Motrin and Tylenol don't seem to help at all. I'm hoping this tooth (or these teeth?!) breaks through very soon!
2. The Husband and I are going to the orientation for the sheriff's academy tonight.
I'm not sure what to expect, other than them telling us the next 9 months of our lives are going to be rough. But, I already know that. The Husband works 11:30pm to 7:00am Monday through Friday. Starting in January, he'll be attending classes from 5:00pm to 10:30pm Monday through Thursday, as well. The times he's home, he'll be sleeping or studying. This all sounds pretty unpleasant (for him mostly, but for Jack and me because we'll rarely see him), but I know this, too, is just a season. We'll get through it, and by this time next year, hopefully The Husband will have been hired on at a great police department doing something he's dreamed of doing for as long as he can remember.
Waiting expectantly on God to do something awesome through this.
Friday, December 13, 2013
1. My Thankful Thursday post never got written yesterday. A little bit of laziness mixed with a lot of time with my boy meant no extra time to write. So, I'll post it here. Today, I'm thankful that The Husband has been accepted into the sheriff's academy and will start classes in January.
2. Jack has been a bit fussy lately. Teething? Possibly. He's been shoving everything into his mouth he can get his hands on, and he's been pretty clingy.
3. Two orange cats (momma cat and her kitten) have taken up residence in my parents' backyard. If you or someone you know would like a couple of adorable orange kitties, please let me know. They're so playful, and it's fun to watch the momma cat teach her kitten things like pouncing, hiding, climbing, etc.
4. My in-laws are coming for a visit this weekend! I know it's more about seeing Jack and less about seeing us ;), but we'll take it haha!
5. Five, five, five. Hmm. Um, I found some fun activities on Pinterest that I can't wait to try out with Jack! Check 'em out if you have a 6 month or older little one at home!
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Today, I'm thankful for the option to change my mind.
I do it a lot. The Husband can verify this.
I want one thing, and then when that doesn't work out, I decide on something else.
Or, I make a decision and someone convinces me to go the opposite direction.
Over a year and a half ago, I decided I'd delete my Facebook account. I had lost Hadley, lots of people were pregnant or bringing home babies, and I just couldn't take reading their good (and very happy) news on a daily basis. I needed a big 'ol break. So, I got rid of it. I stopped reading about other people's lives and lived my own one day at a time.
In the meantime. I had Jack-Jack, our small family moved in with my parents, and life has taken another road than I had planned.
I often think of and miss our friends and family where we used to live. I try to stay in touch via texts, emails, and phone calls, but they're still so very far away.
My mother-in-law suggested that I consider jumping on the Facebook bandwagon again. She knows that I miss everyone, and she said that people would like to see how we're doing and catch up. My main concern in doing that was that I really just wanted it to be about giving a bit of insight into our lives now and see what's up with my friends and family.
I'm just not really interested in much else.
I also needed to set boundaries for myself. I purposed (fully acknowledging that I will mess up or "forget") to not be on it when I'm with Jack. I want to be really with him when I'm with him, ya know?
So, I set up a Facebook account yesterday, and already I've caught up with a few dear friends and loved ones. Yay!
And, already I've messed up and gotten on when I was playing with my boy. In my defense (ohhhh justifications are fun, right?), he was completely adorable, and I wanted to capture his cuteness and post it for all to see. Sigh.
Labels: thankful thursday
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
1. We are in the process of weaning Jack from the dreamfeed (the 10:30ish feed that I wake him for).
He doesn't (and hasn't in months) wake on his own, so I think he's ready. Last night, I bumped it back and nursed him at 9:15, and I think I'll do that same time a few more nights before dropping it altogether. So, he sleeps from 7:30ish until the dreamfeed and back down until 7:30ish in the morning. I normally have to wake him in the morning.
2. Because I'm dropping the dreamfeed, and he'll essentially be getting more continuous sleep at night, we're dropping the 4th nap of the day.
The only days he needs the 4th nap now are the days his other naps weren't full (at least 2 hours). He's doing an excellent job with naps, and he only cries when something wakes him early and he's unable to go back to sleep on his own. I generally am alerted he's awake by sweet sounds now. This morning I woke him from his first nap, and before I did, I caught a picture of what he normally looks like when I get him up.