30

"Thirty was so strange for me.  I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult."  
~C.S. Lewis~

Isn't that the truth?!

So, I turned the big 3-0 this past weekend.  To say I've been dreading it is an understatement.

It wasn't so much the number I dreaded as it was what it meant.  I'm in a whole other decade!

And, I really didn't want to be.

Friday morning, I woke up early after not sleeping well.  Insomnia has been a problem for me, and it chose that night to rear its ugly head.  I headed in to work, and the reality of it hit me.  I wanted to cry.  I did cry.  My sweet friend Ann just hugged me.  I got it out of my system.  Eventually.  Then, I looked up from my desk and saw this:


Our Athletics Director, Angie, wrote that sometime during the day, and I hadn't even noticed.  She was so sweet.  She didn't know what I was feeling.  She didn't know it was almost my birthday.  She didn't know.  But, she wrote it anyway.  Because that's who she is.  She's incredibly uplifting, and she's a joy to work with each day.

Then, as the day was drawing to a close, I received this in my email inbox:


The sweet gals I work with in the office on Mondays and Fridays went in together and got me something they knew I'd love!

Here I am with my office gals:  Ann, Alice, and Beverly.
Angie's front and center :)


That afternoon, I rushed home to finish cleaning and tidying up the house because my best friend since sixth grade and her baby girl were coming for a visit.  For the whole weekend!!

The Husband, The Bestie, and I stayed up far too late Friday night and then woke up pretty darn early Saturday morning. I had a birthday coupon to IHOP, so we headed mid-morning to get some yummy brunch.  
I *HEART* this picture of The Husband and me. It's my new favorite!

We relaxed the majority of the day, and then the four of us went to my friend Tina's house for a visit that afternoon.  We all decided to eat at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner.  On top of the fact that we had a big group, it seems like everybody and their brother decided to eat there that night, too.  We had an hour-long wait (with a 14-month old)!  We finally were seated, the food was ordered and served, and we had a wonderful time! 
Here I am with my friend Ryan (he was my man-of-honor in our wedding). 



Again, we stayed up far too late that night.  I sang on the praise team at church the next morning, so I had to be up and gone pretty early.  The Husband, The Bestie, and her sweet baby joined me later for first service. 


My sweet friend had to leave after church, so we said our goodbyes in the parking lot.  We had a wonderful weekend with them, and I so wish they lived closer.

Sunday night brought the scare, but Monday was a holiday, so I was able to sleep in later than usual. 
I rested some more, but I also tried to get the house in order because my parents were on their way into town.  They got here a little after lunch time, we hung out around the house, and then we headed to dinner at Gringo's.  Mmmm!  Mexican food and a cherry coke!  Sooo good :)

After dinner, The Husband and I headed to Bible study where we had a mini ice cream celebration with more of our friends.   My diet as of late has just been terrible!  I really should get back into the hang of eating healthy again, haha!  She says as she finishes off a bowl of "Homemade in the Shade."  Sigh.

So, I got to celebrate my birthday the entire holiday weekend with my family and some of my closest friends, and turning 30 didn't turn out to be quite as horrible as I thought.

Happy almost-weekend, y'all!

Comments

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! I knew it was coming up (yours and Joyce's) but I couldn't remember when! I was thinking about you both last weekend, though, when I realized her sister had mentioned that her own birthday had been the weekend before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one blessed young woman to have so many people who care about you and do so many very nice things for you. You are and have always been our "Joy" and that quality, that fruit of the Spirit, is reflected back to you. We have been truly blessed to have two beautiful, loving, Christ-filled daughters. May this year that you have been dreading turn out to be your most wonderful year ever! You will be a mother soon and your "joy" will be multiplied. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame Brynna chose not to smile for either of those pictures. I swear she's a happy kid :) I am glad we got to come visit you for the weekend!!! I really enjoyed hanging out with you, Spencer, and the Kennedy's! Hope your 30th b-day was a good one :) Love ya!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, smile or no smile, she's still pretty darn cute!
      It was awesome, and I'm soooo glad you were here to celebrate with me!

      Delete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday Joy. I didn't forget your Birthday (how could I). I just didn't get around to your blog until recently. Looks like you had a great Birthday celebration and you still look 20 something :). Blessings to you, The Husband and "sweet baby boy".

    Your Birthday Buddy,
    Joyce Belizone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My birthday buddy!! Thank you, sweet friend, and it was so good seeing you tonight!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing