Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 27

Day 27:

We have a local radio station that begins playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving.  They've done this for several years now, and though I do like the option to listen to Christmas music every day until Christmas, I'll be honest and say that I don't always tune in.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE Christmas songs.  I love the joy that exudes from them.  I love the feelings they stir, the memories they bring to mind.

And, though I will sing along (occasionally) with the cheesier songs (you know the ones to which I refer...*ahem* Feliz Navidad anybody?...), those are really the ones that bring up the fewest memories.

But O Holy Night? Now that one stirs up a lot.  It is probably my favorite Christmas song.  Ever.  Period.

It's one that I can't help but sing along with.

It's not a totally happy Christmas song.  But.  I do believe it's beautiful.  And, often it makes me cry.

And, y'all, I adore the lyrics.  I especially cherish the following verse:

"Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!"

I think this is my *most* favorite Christmas melody because it doesn't JUST speak about Christ's birth like many, many wonderful Christmas songs do.  It tells also of the great things He came to do.  And has done.

I found this awesome version on Spotify (have y'all Spotify'd yet??) this evening.  It's sung by David Crowder Band (soooo good!).  I'm trying to attach it, so forgive me if I fail.  Hah! Also, please let me know if it doesn't work, so I can youtube it instead.  Thank you!


So, this 27th day of my Thirty Days of Thankfulness posts is not only about my love of Christmas music.   It's about my love for the One of whom we sing.  The One who broke our chains of slavery to sin, the One whose ONLY law is to love, and the One whose power and glory will ever more be proclaimed.  Amen and amen.

Comments

  1. The music brought tears to my eyes, too. Beautifully written blog. I always think of Momma when Christmas carols are being sung/played - she loved to sing along and loved the Christmas season so much. Although she didn't have your beautiful voice, she sang with love and joy. You've inherited those qualities from her. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with KSBJ this time of year. I love the Christmas songs that bring me to tears. But wish I didn't have to endure Frosty the Snowman in the process. O Holy Night is my 2nd favorite Christmas song. My first -- Little Drummer Boy. Josh Groban has a phenomenal version. Our church sings a song each year called O Night of Miracles. It moves me so. I can't find it anywhere online except for YouTube, and I've been looking for years! :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XIJRkRs6A&noredirect=1 I hope that link works. :) Will go check out your David Crowder Band version now. I'm always looking for a new song to put my Christas slideshow to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I heard an awful one (SUPER cheesy) this morning and just laughed. I'm glad it's not just me who feels that way :)
      I'll have to find the Josh Groban version to listen to--he has a gorgeous voice.
      I did listen to the song your church sings--just lovely! I'm sure it's gorgeous in person!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing