The news

Hello there, dear ones.
It's me again.
I know.  I know.  You probably thought I wouldn't write again until after the wedding.  You know, the wedding that's taking place in nine days.  9 days, readers!
Haha, actually, I wasn't planning on it, but I love the layout of my blog so much that I just felt compelled to blog again. :D

So.....what to blog about??
I guess I could tell you what I will be teaching in the fall and how all of that came about.

Ok, here goes.

Now, keep in mind, my dream and my goal for me and for this blog is to daily be completely authentic and real. It's been so liberating to be completely honest on here with how I feel and how I struggle.

Life, lately, has thrown some curve balls that I didn't or maybe just refused to see coming.  Occasionally, I like to live in a fairy land where all my dreams come true, Nutella is totally healthy in huge portions, summer-time lasts far longer than three months, and wedding dresses purchased a YEAR in advance never, ever, under any circumstances, feel far tighter just weeks before the wedding--Seriously, what was I thinking?  Why didn't any of you kind, wise, got-it-together people say to me, "Joy, choosing a wedding dress and altering it seven months before the wedding probably isn't the smartest thing you could do"?

Then, oh then, when reality hits, it's difficult.  It's difficult for me.  It's difficult for the fiance.  It's difficult for the poor, unwitting people who ask me how my day is going and, unprepared, witness the deluge of tears.  You people should get a medal.  Or a cherry limeade (with extra cherry juice).  Or both.

I digress.

I love teaching.  I love teaching where I teach.  I love teaching small children who love learning, who give me hugs, who I've been trained to teach.  Did you catch the "small children" part?

I recently (two weeks ago today) was told by our very intelligent, very compassionate new headmaster that the only available position at our school was an upper-grammar position (think middle school age).  Now, I have always firmly believed that middle school teachers should/will receive an extra crown in heaven (before placing it back before Jesus' feet) for teaching those dear, newly-hormonal children.

I began my teaching career (after receiving my B.S in Interdisciplinary Studies and my certification to teach early childhood through fourth grade students) working with second graders in a public school.  For two years.  I, then, taught first grade for two years, kindergarten (helped in pre-kindergarten) for a year, and third grade for a year in the private school I'm in now.  Most people are aware by now why I've taught so many different grades, but if you aren't currently "in the know," here's the simple explanation.  Although I've been at this school for four years, I've been the "last" one in each grade I've moved to.  This means, if a grade doesn't fill out (if enrollment is down), then the last teacher in is the one that's moved.  It's crummy having to move classrooms each year, but every grade I've taught has been wonderful!!

I was really looking forward to having a down year.  A year where I didn't have to learn a completely new curriculum, where I didn't have to move classrooms, where I didn't have to bring the stress of work (and the preparations for work) home with me to my brand new husband.

Life is funny.

I spent all summer believing that God would place me in one of the lower grammar school grades that I had previously taught so that my year wouldn't be completely new.  I was wrong.

I was also deeply disappointed.  I felt unprepared and unable to take on that heavy, scary task of teaching a grade beyond my teaching expertise.  I love the gals I'd be teaching with, but I continued to wish over and over that "this cup would be taken from me."  I would do it, no question, if God would equip me, but I was very worried He wouldn't.  You see, I love this school.  I love the staff.  I love the families.  I can't imagine teaching anywhere else, so....if I was being called to teach that grade, I would do it because I believe I'm where I'm supposed to be.


For a week and a half, I cried every day.  Sobbed.  Mourned.  I was at a loss.  The fiance was at a loss.  Friends tried hard to comfort me.  I just couldn't be comforted.  Even by God.  I confess, I chose to be a little, maybe more than a little, angry with God.  I was incredibly frustrated and, well, depressed.  I was depressed.  I was inconsolable.  (Looking back, this may have been a combination of many things....wedding, planning, and school.)

But.  

I love those "buts" in stories, don't you?  The turning point in a tale that was previously going downhill on a sled that couldn't stop?

But, I, on a day that was my lowest, received the neatest news regarding my assignment there this year, and I realized that even when I, self-centered, eyes-focused-inward I, was not faithful, my God was.

*drumroll*

My creative headmaster has created a position for me that allows me to be with the youngest children there, to work with adults, and to work with several age groups.

Curious?

Here's my schedule....my very-exciting, low-stress-for-a-highly-strung-gal-like-myself school year schedule.

Monday--I'll be working with the staff in the office. Super sweet gals!
Tuesday--I get to teach pre-kindergarten with my girl, Lesa.
Wednesday--I get my chance to work in the library (THE LIBRARY!!!  Did you know I've always loved the library and have wanted to be an elementary school librarian...for like... forever?!!)
Thursday--I'll be teaching pre-k.
Friday--I get to work more in the office.

I love it, & I couldn't be more grateful!  I'm off to shower (which I told my mother-in-law-to-be I was doing thirty minutes ago!) and sing and pray some prayers of thanks.  Our God is good!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to team teach with you - WOW - I'll be part of a Pre-K team this year!!! It will be a great year! Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord definitely answered your prayers. Sounds like an exciting year filled with new adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing