Exasperation

I said I would write every weekend, and I haven't followed through.  I was supposed to be using my social-media free time (hahahahahahahaha, I have three kids, so free time is a fun phrase that I don't use often) to write.

And I haven't been doing that.
Instead, I've been taking care of kids and The Husband and this house.  We finally finished their room upstairs (except for odds and ends that need finishing touches), and they've been sleeping up there.  It's been awesome! They LOVE it, and I love that they love it.
~~~~~~
A local little girl who's Jack's age lost her battle with leukemia this weekend.
The news of her death was all over Facebook, and it was so, so sad.  My kids were being crazy and whiny and acting like, well like little children, and I was lamenting having to deal with all of that.  And then I read of her death, and I regretted every harsh thing I had said to them that day.

I vowed to spend last night and today praying over them and for them.  I found some great prayers online like this one, and I also found some war room prayers to pray.

I know that God has some pretty specific things to say about the relationship between children and parents, and because I don't own a concordance, I went to google to see if I could find the verses that I was thinking of.
Here are just a few that showed up in my search.

"Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6


"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother'—which is the first commandment with a promise— 'so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.'  Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."  Ephesians 6:1-4

I feel like those go hand in hand. 
Train them up in the Lord, give them a solid foundation, teach them to obey (us, those in authority, and God) so that things will go well for them.  But, that next part is harder for me (I can't claim that it's harder for The Husband, but I do think he sees the difficulty here). 

Do not exasperate your children.  I have a hard time with this one.  Mostly because they exasperate me! But, I never want to fuss at them or discipline them so much that they are exasperated and give up on doing the best they can with what they've been given and to not seek God in the things they struggle with.

I'm trying my hardest to direct them to Christ when we're having a tough day. I'm trying my hardest to start our day talking about using our hands to help and not to hurt (this one happens every. single. day.).  I'm trying.

But I fail.  I fail to redirect them every time, and I lose my patience, I get exasperated, and I probably exasperate them.

I need to start my day seeking God's help and direction.
I need to be purposeful with directing and leading them beginning with our first moments together at breakfast before the day gets away from me.

So, new week, new goal, new momma.  
**Be purposeful with our time together and be mindful of my time with God.**




Comments


  1. We all get exasperated at times and supervising and caring for three small children is very hard. I think you do a magnificent job with them. Cut yourself some slack and realize you are human and doing the very best you can do. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

In the Beginning...There Was a Garden