Four Days Old

Oliver is 4 days old today.

Yesterday, on his third day in the NICU, we were told right before his 11am feeding that he would get to room in with us. I had already been released the day before and was allowed to "room in" since I'm breastfeeding him around the clock. It's a nice thing they offer. And we were elated he was coming. 
 
When he arrived in our room, he was bundled up in a lit blue blanket to help lower his jaundice levels since they were still elevated. I was disappointed because I knew that meant we'd have to deal with the lights and the blanket instead of getting to do skin-to-skin and love on him in our space. I was finally given the go-ahead to take him out of it when I fed him because he refused to nurse in it. But then he had to go right back under the lights.  It was a long night. I woke and sat bolt upright, and in the process nearly killed my incision when I saw he had ripped off his blinders. That happened twice. 
 
They rechecked his levels at 5:30am, and we heard back around 9 that he would be released. His level is still not ideal (it's an 8), and it could still go back up since he's premature, so we have to monitor him closely. 

I was so happy to be able to put actual clothes on him and take him out from under the lights. 
 
We were just about to leave when they realized they hadn't done a car seat check to make sure his vitals stayed stable. This was an almost 2 hour test. Thankfully, aside from being VERY angry initially, he passed. 

We took this shot before leaving the room that had been home since Wednesday morning. 
 
The Husband loaded up the car and got Olli all situated in his car seat, and we headed home to our other kiddos and our new normal. 

They were both super excited to see us and have been very sweet with him. 
 
They both mimic me nursing him, which is hilarious and adorable. 

Ella has had a very hard time with me being gone, and now that I'm home, she wants to be wherever I am and doesn't understand why I can't lift her up and snuggle her.  Please pray for her heart and for mine as I learn to let others help in the areas I'm not able to. 

My parents have been with the kids since day 1, and they have been a HUGE blessing to us. My brother-in-law came and helped for a few days (thanks sooo much, Nathan!), and now my sister-in-law is here with us for a while (you know we think you rock, Faith!). 

I know my parents need a break lol, so I'm glad The Husband has a few more days off from work. I'm not looking forward to figuring out life on my own with three kids when I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than Oliver. It will certainly be interesting. 

I'm so thankful for this gift God has given us. 
I'm so thankful that my 35-weeker spent less than a week in the NICU, had no need for oxygen, and is home with us.
I'm so thankful for family and friends who have stepped up and who have gone above and beyond to help us and love on us. 
I'm so thankful for this first night home with him and all the nights to come. 

I'm going to put this sleeping boy in bed, and I'm going to rest my weary eyes. 
 
Thank you for praying for us as we embark on this life as a family of 5. 

Comments

  1. We are so thankful to God that baby Olli is doing so well and that you are all together again. He is beyond precious and Jack and Ella are going to be wonderful with him. God is Good. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing