A Few Weekend Projects **Updated**

I decided to tackle a few projects this weekend. 1, because it was payday on Friday, and 2, because I decided to take advantage of a sale at our local lumber store (which sells a bunch of stuff, and not just lumber). 

So, yesterday, I bought and washed up four pint-sized mason jars and four pretty blue quart-sized mason jars. 
I've been making overnight oats for The Husband to eat or take with him to work each night, but our plastic containers aren't big enough. The pint-size ones are perfect! I found the apple cinnamon recipe here.  

I looked at several other ideas and ended up concocting my own peanut butter and honey recipe. 

The list of ingredients is as follows:
1/2 cup of oats
1/2 cup of milk of your choosing 
Two big spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt  
One honkin-big spoonful of peanut butter or other nut butter of your choosing
A squirt or two of honey  
A dash of cinnamon
Directions: stir everything carefully until everything is mixed well. Place lid on tightly and give it a few good shakes. Let sit in refrigerator overnight (8-10 hours). Eat cold :)
He enjoys and is filled up by both, and he normally does not like oatmeal, so give it a go if you're looking for filling, easy, and healthy. I'm sure I'll find some others to try, but these two are both simple and require few ingredients. I made up four jars in 15 minutes tops. Easy-peasy. 
Eventually, I'll invest in more jars so that I can make up batches for the kids, who both enjoy (warm, steel-cut) oatmeal three or so times a week for breakfast. 

This afternoon, the kids and I went to the lumber store and picked up six plants and a large bag of soil. Four of the plants I got for 99¢ each. Score! All six plants are known for repelling mosquitos, and after the weeks of rain we've had, those suckers are big and out in full force. I'm hoping I can check out the dollar store tomorrow for a few small pots or one really large one to hold the marigolds and the petunias the kids helped me choose!
**Update-Sunday afternoon** I bought my pots, and I planted the remaining four plants. I'm pleased with how they turned out :)

Two of the plants I found were herbs for my herb garden. I had originally thought I'd like to hang the large blue mason jars on an outside wall, but The Husband is probably getting tired of my honey-dos. So, instead, I did a little redecorating during nap time and made room for a tiny herb garden on our kitchen table.  I got the rosemary, the basil, and the two mint plants from my dad all planted in the mason jars while the kids ate dinner. 

Now, we have something lovely to look at and smell while we sit there each day, and I think it freshens up the room. 

They like shade, so it should be the perfect spot, and the pea gravel at the bottom should keep them from staying too moist. I think they look lovely :)


Comments

  1. You have become such a gardener!!! Love the new centerpiece and the planters on the porch. Very cheery. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing