Learning Time

I've written before that Jack and I have art/learning time together each morning while Ella has room time. I thought I would give a few more details explaining what we do exactly during those 30-45 minutes after breakfast. We usually read a chapter out of the Jesus Storybook Bible with Ella before she goes to play, but sometimes, I read it just to him after learning time is over. 
Then, I start off "the lesson" by showing him this board and singing the "Days of the Week" song (sung to the tune of "Oh My Darling, Clementine") while pointing to each day. 
"There are seven days, 
There are seven days, 
There are seven days in a week.
There are seven days, 
There are seven days, 
There are seven days in a week.
Sunday, Monday,
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Thursday, Friday, Saturday. 
Sunday, Monday,
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Thursday, Friday, Saturday."
Then, I sing the "Today is ________" song (sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques") while pointing to whichever day it is. 
"Today is _______.
Today is _______.
All day long.
All day long.
Yesterday was _____________.
Tomorrow will be ____________.
Oh, what fun!
Oh, what fun!"
Then, once we've established what day it is, I talk to him about what activity we'll be doing, and we go over the do's and don't's ("do keep the paint on the paper," "don't let the beads roll on the floor for your sister to choke on later," etc.)
On Tuesday, we worked with glue. We had also just read the Bible story of God telling Abraham his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the sky, so I tied that in.  We made clouds for the sky and added star stickers. 

Yesterday, Wednesday, we worked with beads. This is a wonderful activity that kept him engaged the entire 45 minutes. It hit many skills, too--fine motor practice, sorting by color and kind, counting, and letter identification. When he's ready, we'll add in making patterns. 
Today, Thursday, he painted with finger-paints. He requested that we give it to his Aunt Beth, so it's drying now and will be set aside for her. 

If there's time after the activities are finished, I'll offer him magnets or puzzles to work on until it's time to go play with Ella. He chose the alphabet puzzle this morning, so we got in some letter practice, too. 
Our mornings are structured and fun, and they go by quickly. Good times :)

Comments

  1. All those teaching and organizational skills are really coming in handy with your little guy!!! You are a wonderful mommy, and I know your children are going to benefit so very much from all your knowledge and experience. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing