Two Things Tuesday (1/28)

1.   I've had to manage my time wisely during Jack's naps in order to do it, but I have been one busy baby-food-making momma the last couple of days. In between loads (and loads) of laundry, I've made a batch of green beans and potatoes for him to try out, two batches of peaches and cloves (which he can't get enough of), a batch of pears and cinnamon, a batch of apples and cinnamon, and another portion of oatmeal that should last us a couple of days.  For my future self, here's how I prepared things. 

Green Beans and Potatoes
One can of no-salt added cut green beans
One (next time I'll do two) red potato, peeled and cubed
Garlic powder to taste (needs a little more next time)
Boil green beans and potatoes until tender enough to mash
Blend in blender, adding some of the water from pan as needed

Peaches and Cloves
Two bags (1lb each) of frozen sliced peaches
Cloves (powder) to taste--I just sprinkle some in 
Steam peaches (one bag at a time if using small blender)
Spoon peaches into container, sprinkle in cloves, and add small amount of water
Blend until smooth

Pears (or Apples) and Cinnamon
Four danjou pears (or five small apples)
Cinnamon to taste
Peel and slice fruit (yes, I googled how to slice a pear properly!  I felt I'd been to wasteful in the past.  Here's a helpful link :) http://m.wikihow.com/Core-a-Pear)
Steam
Spoon fruit into container, sprinkle cinnamon, and add a small amount of water
Blend until smooth

Oatmeal
3/4 cup of water
1/4 oatmeal
Cinnamon to taste 
Blend dry oatmeal until a tad bit finer (not too powdery)
Bring water and oatmeal to boil and reduce to simmer
Sprinkle in cinnamon, stir as needed
Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Don't over cook. 

When each item is cool, I use a tablespoon (measuring spoon) and put one spoonful in each section of an ice tray and freeze. Then, those cubes go into a labeled (name of food and date) ziplock bag and everything goes back into the freezer.  I don't freeze the oatmeal because I don't think it would freeze well, and really, it doesn't take long to prepare a fresh batch every couple of days. I've also frozen tons of cubes of pumpkin straight from the massive can of pumpkin purée. Another item I prepare and freeze is a mixture of carrots and blueberries. I didn't have any carrots on hand, or I would have fixed a batch of those, too!  Here's the low down on how I fix them. 

Carrots and Blueberries
Two cups of baby carrots (or regular, chopped carrots if you have oodles of time)
One cup of frozen blueberries, thawed
Steam carrots (this seems to take A LONG time)
Blend carrots and blueberries until smooth

2.  I'm so tired, and I'm praying Jack gets back to sleeping through the night tonight. The last three nights he's wanted to visit around midnight. And by visit, I mean cry until I hold him. Then, he seems fine. I'm afraid it may become a habit, so I'm hoping he just sleeps right on through that time, and he and I can cuddle extra tomorrow. During the day. When I'm functioning. 

Comments

  1. Wow, you were very busy in the kitchen while we were away! Jack C. has lots of interesting dishes to sample. Great job, Mom!!!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing