It was a Thursday

Here follows the story of how I got put on bed rest...

Last Monday, after weeks of not having any back pain, we drove up to the Austin area for my uncle's funeral.  I don't know whether it was the long car ride, the church service, the food at the reception after, the long car ride back, or none of those things, but my back began to hurt.  As I've explained before, this pain is a not a dull ache.  It doesn't feel as if I've pulled something or as if something is just really tight.  It's a sharp pain directly behind my ribs on the right side.  It grabs on and stays for the long haul.  Some nights, it's difficult to sleep because no position brings relief to that one spot in my back.

Anywho.

That was Monday.  Tuesday and Wednesday I had the same pain, along with extra weariness, but I kept pushing along.  There's not much else one can do when one has between five and eight classes of children coming in and out of the library expecting to be read to and loved on.  So, I did it.

Thursday, around mid-morning, the pain in my back became so severe that standing up or walking around were difficult.  I began having stronger (what I thought were) Braxton Hicks contractions.  It felt debilitating.  I'd end up in the recliner in the library fully reclined trying to get my stomach and my back to ease up.  I was in tears as I texted The Husband explaining what was going on.  He said he'd be there in twenty minutes.  I sat in the office with my feet up until he got there.  We got home, I rested, and I'd feel better for a little while, only to have the pain hit again, bringing me to tears.  By 8 pm, The Husband declared we were going to the hospital.  I felt ridiculous. I kept saying that it was just some pregnancy pain.  I should be able to manage.  The pain eased as we drove, and I became increasingly embarrassed because I just knew we were doing all this for nothing.

We got to the hospital, and they began running tests on my urine (to see if I was dehydrated, and I'm sure to check for other issues), and they ran an FFN test to see if I was in pre-term labor.  In the meantime, my back was still killing me, and I began to feel that tightness in my abdomen again.  They had hooked me up to a monitor that allowed us to hear Baby Boy's heartbeat (good and strong) and to check for any contractions.  The Husband could tell that I was having actual contractions as the line spiked up higher and higher.  The nurse came back in, and said my OB requested that I have an internal exam.  That was done, it was awful, but everything looked good.  As the contractions continued, my doctor decided to admit me.  The nurse gave me Demerol for the pain in my back, mixed with Phenergan to help with nausea.  She wheeled me down the hall to the room I'd be staying in.  The room we lost Hadley in.  It was the only one available.  It made me sad, but I didn't have long to focus on that.

The pain began to ease, but I vomited like nobody's business.   So much for the anti-nausea meds :).
My Labor and Delivery nurse came in and said that the FFN test came back positive for pre-term labor.  Y'all, that scared me.  My OB ordered Terbutaline injections to try to stop the contractions--three injections every fifteen minutes and then an oral dose.  I was also given the first of two steroid shots to help Baby Boy's lungs develop.  Those small shots induced a massive amount of pain.  Sheesh!

My mother-in-law came to stay with me while The Husband ran home to take care of some things.  I tried to sleep, but I was up every hour or so to head to the restroom, which was an adventure each time as the fetal heart rate monitor was unhooked, I climbed cautiously out of bed, and then maneuvered my way with the IV pole.  I didn't sleep much that night.

Around 6 am, an ultrasound tech came in to take pictures of my gallbladder and my pancreas.  The fear was that I had gallstones or some inflammation that could be causing the back pain and the contractions.  That took half an hour.

An hour later, another ultrasound tech came to look at the baby.   Longest hour of my life.  He looks good, by the way, and weighs 4 pounds.

Finally, around noon, they allowed me to eat food.  Thirty minutes later, I started having contractions again.  The doctor decided to try a different medicine - Procardia. 

The gallbladder surgeon said it's possible I have a low-functioning gallbladder (which can't be determined until after I deliver), which would explain the back pain.  He put me on a strict no-fat/low-fat, gluten-free diet to see if that helps any.  It's, um, exciting.  Not.  Here are the things I can and can't eat.  Be jealous.

My doctor, out of pity, released me to go home with the proviso that I'm on complete bed rest until further notice.  I have a prescription bottle full of Procardia pills in case I have some contractions (I did have two on Friday night), and I'm to go back to the hospital if I have more than six in an hour's time.  She did, however,  make an exception for our couple's baby shower on Saturday.  I was to do nothing and to sit with my feet up the entire time.  I promised to obey, and I was so grateful that she allowed me to do that!

Here are a few shots from the shower.  It was lots of fun, and we felt so loved.  The big thing we're still needing is the stroller, but we're all set on where the baby will sleep and eat and get bathed.  We were also gifted with lots of cute outfits and cloth diapers/covers!
 Waiting patiently

Sweet blanket :) 

The one on the left says, "My Dad is Super!"  The one I'm holding has a picture of a cute skunk and the caption, "It wasn't me!"

 One of the diaper covers I received.  Actually, that's an all-in-one diaper, which means I don't have to put a cloth diaper inside.  Even better!  And so adorable!

My mother-in-law and my mom.  Not one of us wore blue to the shower meant for a boy, haha! 

The hostesses with the mostest :)

Sunday was a difficult day for me.  Emotionally, I was exhausted, and my irritability-level was at an all-time high.  I had myself a grand-ole pity party, full of tears and lamenting.  It was ugly and sad to watch, I'm sure.

Yesterday was a better day.  My cousin came for a visit, and then my friend Tina took me to my appointment, where we met up with The Husband (who started his job this week--more on that later!).  My appointment went well, but I'm still on bed rest.  I'll see my doctor again next Tuesday. 

So.

That's my story.  I'm trying to stay busy.  Writing thank-you notes, reading, resting, watching a tv show or two, planning blog posts, day-dreaming, looking at gallbladder friendly foods on Pinterest are all keeping me going.  I would like to learn how to knit or crochet, but I think I need some one-on-one assistance with that goal!

Thanks for your prayers as we embark on this new journey where my super controlling nature is forced to shut down.  It's painful losing control over almost every aspect of my life.  But, I think this is exactly where God wants me to be, so I'm going to try to make the most of it. 

If you know me in real life and have some free time, I'd love to visit in person or on the phone. Emailing is fine, too, but I'm limited on when I can use The Husband's laptop (since he'll need it for work at times).

Here's to one more day of Baby Boy being safely ensconced in my womb!  Join me, will you, in asking that in God's mercy He'll allow him to remain in there for many weeks to come :)

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."  Romans 12:12  

Comments

  1. Glad things are looking more positive for you. We hope things are going very well for Spencer in this new adventure for him and you. Tell Baby Boy that Grandpa and NaNa love him. And of course, we love you bunches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww -- what a rough time for you all. I will be praying! As for knitting, do you know Jackie Blagg? She's an upper school math (??) teacher. She taught the 4th graders how to knit this year, and offered knitting lessons at the auction. I purchased that and Leah has had the BEST time with her. Jackie has a passion for teaching others to knit, and I'm sure she would have as much fun with you as you'd have with her. She only teaches part-time and could probably come see you during the day if you wanted. Let me know if you're interested and I can hook you guys up. She is a really wonderful, wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing