The Pains of Pregnancy

A week or so ago, I pondered and posted my Top 5 Perks of this pregnancy.  I've had some more time to ponder, and I've decided on my Top 5 Pains.  There were a couple more I could have added, but I really don't want to complain too much as I truly know what an extreme blessing it is to be able to be pregnant in the first place!

So here they are in no certain order...
The Top 5 Pains

#1  The touching.  A few people ask first before caressing my belly, but more people go in for the touch without a second thought as to whether this might bother me or not.  I certainly don't mind my close friends and family doing so.  Their love and excitement are both evident.  But, people who I'm casually acquainted with or who pass me in the store?  It's just weird.  

#2  The well-meaning comments.  Now admittedly, I've probably said a few of these things, too, and so this one is more of a "peeve" than a "pain."  Again, people I'm barely acquainted with or who I've never actually met before, seem to do this more often.  Those well-meaning darlings says, "Wow!  You're getting close!" referring to my ever-growing belly.  In my shock, I've actually responded, "Well, not really.  I've still got 3 1/2 months to go" or something to that effect.  

#3  The dry, itchy skin.  My skin has been sooo itchy lately.  My belly and legs are the worst.  Coconut oil after my showers helps a lot, but by the end of the day, my skin is just itching to be scratched.  The eczema is still there a bit, but since using that concoction weeks ago, it's been much better.

#4  The achy back.  My back has been a source of irritation for much of this pregnancy.  It's either a constant, piercing, burning sensation in the middle of my back (underneath and at the base of my ribs) or it's sciatica (at the base of my rear end and down into my leg).  I rarely have a day when my back isn't causing me discomfort.  When people ask how I'm feeling, I respond that everything is good...except for my back.  It's actually been really discouraging to have so many people tell me that they never experienced that kind of pain during their pregnancies.  BUT, I was reminded by a friend on Sunday that EVERY pregnancy is different.  So, even if those people didn't have severe back pain or experience episodes of sciatica, they probably experienced some other kind of discomfort.  Doing some pregnancy pilates exercises and stretches helps a bit, but twenty or thirty minutes after, I begin to ache again.  Walking for long periods of time on hard surfaces (like walking around a mall for 45 minutes searching for a store that doesn't even exist anymore...ugh!) is excruciating.
In any event, I will definitely NOT miss this part of my pregnancy!

#5  The feeling I get in tight spaces.  Using a public restroom (at an elementary school) where the doors are narrow and the stalls seem even smaller is quite interesting.  I have to maneuver in, do what I went there to do, and then turn toward the toilet in order to be able to open the door to the stall all the way.  If I face the door, I can't seem to get the door open all of the way.  Squeezing behind my desks at work has gotten a bit hairy, as well.

Did you have any pains or peeves during your pregnancies?  If so, how did you deal with them?

Comments

  1. You can ask anyone: I absolutely LOVED every single aspect of being pregnant! I cried when I had to put away my maternity clothes after Megan and boo-hooed even more when I got rid of them for good after Trevor. I loved people noticing me when I was pregnant -- the comments (good or bad),and anyone who wanted to touch my belly was welcome to do so. The pain caused by my sciatic nerve was horrible. I worked slap up until I had Megan, and those at work who KNEW that I had no plans of returning made a concentrated effort to work me as much as they could (I would swear to this)!! I even put my computer keyboard on top of a cardboard box and STOOD to do computer work. I did this EVERY DAY during the last month of my pregnancy because it hurt too much to sit for even 15 minutes. With Trevor, I had gestational diabetes, and I learned to adjust. The point I'm trying to make is thatyes, EVERY pregnancy is different. Even your own pregnancies are different if you're blessed to experience more than one. What is a pain to some is a blessing to others, and vice-versa. Make the best of what you have and know that in a few short weeks, it will all have been worth it!

    Tina Diese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree, and I do try to enjoy it as much as I can (the perks definitely outweigh the pains!). That being said, there are a few things I really won't miss--the back pain being the main one! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I am one of those people who never had the back pain you are experiencing, but I had other problems. Your friend at church is right - every pregnancy is different and each mother experiences pregnancy in a different way. I haven't rubbed your sweet belly or really even touched it, but I would like sometime to feel Baby Boy kicking. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept waiting for him to move so I could tell you to feel it! He was pretty laid back during your visit though.

      Delete
  3. #4-the sciatic pain!!! Oh. My. Heavens. You already know my saga with that x's 8 years and max pain when I was pregnant with B. I am so sorry you had to deal with this :( I am having sympathy sciatic pain for you now though..it decided to flare up fully today and I thought I had been shot (or stabbed) in my right buttocks this morning!

    I do agree that while not every woman has experienced this back problems you are having now, every pregnancy is different and each person has their own discomforts.. So do not be discouraged, my dear. I will tell you over the phone another of my pains that is probably not appropriate to post on here and one I have not heard you mention yet.

    After baby boy gets here, you will look back at this list and think "you know, he was all worth it and I would do it over again in a heartbeat" cause, well, our children are worth it.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That foot-on-the-wall stretch I was telling you about? It works! Try it!
      As for this baby boy? He's worth it :)

      Delete
  4. Joy, I wonder if your friend, Kelli, and I had another "pain" together -- you know, the one that she mentions is "not appropriate to post on here"!!! My friends and I laugh about all those things that no one warned us about! Funny, I always said that I would like to write an accompanying version to the "What To Expect When You're Expecting" book that tells all the things that their book doesn't tell you about!!!

    And, I still have sciatic pain to this day. I'm actually experiencing it today. The best thing about it now is that I can take Advil and it goes away!

    Tina Diese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina- All my problems were pretty localized in a general area of my body--below the belly button and above the thighs...Including the one not appropriate for the web!!

    I also loved my pregnancies and I miss being pregnant something fierce! I could probably keep on having babies if we could financially support it!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing