Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 19

Day 19 of my Thirty Days of Thankfulness posts:

Today, I'm thankful for great books that draw me in, make me cry, bring about fits of laughter, and leave me hanging at the end of each chapter.

I'm especially thankful for the series I've been reading the last few months:  The Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers.  I just finished the second book this afternoon, An Echo in the Darkness, and I am kicking myself for not grabbing the third one off the shelf at school before I left on Friday.  Now, I have to wait a whole week before diving into the third and final book As Sure as the Dawn.  This trilogy is purely historical fiction, and I am smitten.  I know I will cry buckets when I've finished the last one.  Before reading these books, I had NO IDEA that I would enjoy historical fiction. None.  Now, I think it's my newest and most favorite genre!  YAY for new things!

So, if you're looking for a great read, or three, go pick up A Voice in the Wind, and dive in!  You won't be disappointed; though as a disclaimer of sorts, I will say that it took me the first quarter of the book to really know and feel "invested" in the lives of the characters.

So give it a shot!  What have you got to lose? :)

Comments

  1. I'll have to see if our library has this trilogy. Sounds like good long-winter day's reading!! Thanks for the recommendation, Mrs. Librarian!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started reading historical fiction over the last few years, and I absolutely LOVE it! I read the first Mark of the Lion book, but not the following two. I'm not a Francine Rivers fan. :( But I'll tell you some I love! :) Nefertiti and the sequel The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. So wonderful to read as my children were stuyding Ancient Egypt in 1st Grade! :) Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. Alice Norman and I usually swap favorites. She recommended The Shoemaker's Wife but I haven't read it yet. I also loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan which you've probably read. And The 19th Wife. And The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I could keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all sound awesome! Thanks for the recommendations :)
    I have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (I think because you told me I should!), and I really enjoyed it. It was heartbreaking, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing