What does your day hold?

This past week, the staff and faculty at our school had inservice days. If you've never worked in a school, this may not mean anything to you, so I'll explain. Inservice days are days where teachers come together as one body and have meetings regarding such topics as, and in no particular order...dress code, discipline, the handbook, policy, communication, schedules, etc. Our inservice days, unlike many other schools out there, also included a devotional/message time, a time of reflection and prayer. Wednesday morning, we had the most incredible time of prayer, and I believe the Holy Spirit touched every person in that room. I love that I get to work somewhere that allows and encourages that kind of experience.


Early in the week, we watched a video of Chuck Colson as he spoke at a Classical Education conference. Do you know who he is? I didn't. And then I was educated. Wow. Seriously, this guy messed up. Big time. And then? Well, if you have no idea who he is, I strongly urge you to click on that link and quickly educate yourself. Go ahead. I'll wait.

But, I digress. Mr. Colson was talking about the goals that Classical Christian schools should have. At one point, he said something that stuck with me for the rest of the day...and even days later. I'm paraphrasing, so forgive me if I don't get his wording correct. He said that every day he wakes up excited because he gets to go out there and advance the kingdom of God. He gets to. I wrote that down. I mulled it over. I repeated it out loud. There were others in the room who were nodding as we discussed it after the video was concluded. Every day, we (the body of Christ) get to do something that will advance the kingdom. I'll give you a moment to soak that in.

Have you ever thought about that? Has that been your first thought upon waking up? Have you ever jumped out of bed, filled to the brim--overflowing as it were--with exhilaration because you were going to get to advance the kingdom of God that day? I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have never, not once, had that thought. Now, I have woken up on occasion feeling thrilled about what the day was going to hold, (like, say, a vacation to Hawaii) but I've never been over-the-top enthusiastic because I knew I was going to make some impact for God's realm.

Most mornings, even if I don't voice it, I am more than slightly irritated that my uncaring alarm clock is blaring at me to "wake up already" and get going. Because, by nature, I am not a "morning person."

...But really, who is? I mean, seriously, are there really that many "morning people" out there? Do they actually exist? I don't know that I can name one person who really and truly loves getting up at the crack of dawn and does so with true jubilation written all over his/her face.

...Um, come to think of it, I'm not really an "evening person" either.
Except for the fact that I'm able to converse in greater depth late at night.
But that could be because I'm usually incredibly exhausted by that point, and I'll pretty much say anything that passes through my brain and sounds half-way decent coming out.

Maybe I'm an "afternoon person"...

But back to furthering God's domain...I can't change the past; I must move forward. So, tomorrow, before I stretch, before I roll out of bed, before I plod over to the sink and wearily wash my face and wipe the sleep from my eyes, even before I check to see if the fiance sent me a sweet text message during the night, I commit to thanking God first for allowing me, for granting me, for giving me the opportunity to do something, some small (or big!) thing, that will build up His kingdom. I really am very excited to see what small (or big!) thing He's going to let me accomplish for Him that will bring Him and Him alone glory! Each day!

I can't wait!

"To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen." Revelation 1:6

Comments

  1. What a wonderful thought. I'm definitely not a "morning person," but I WILL try to focus on advancing God's kingdom everyday instead of thinking about how difficult it is to get out of bed. Thank you helping me to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on what I've posted. Thanks so much for sharing them with me! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Musings (5/4)

Introducing....

A Little Revealing